Monday, October 4, 2010

Friday, October 1, 2010

Today I went to Medical Center of the Rockies to get another CAT scan. I thought it was just going to be a normal CAT scan so I told Rhiannon to wait in the waiting room. The last time she came in with me for a CAT scan the technician looked at her funny. Almost as if to say, "it's just a CAT scan..." Then she had to leave anyway. So this time I told her to go ahead and just wait in the waiting room.

The Nurse took me back and as we were walking down this long hallway she was telling me what was going to happen and mentioned "a dye" and I was thinking, "oh man, i've heard of this before."

So she took me to this room with a curtain for a door. She told me that the nurse was going to give me an IV. Then the nurse asked if i wanted a warm blanket. I said no and she asked jovially, "are you sure? I just love getting them out!" I laughed and told her no, i was sure. As she left I looked across from where I was sitting and saw a chair for guests and internally kicked myself, because I could have had Rhiannon with me! The other nurse came in and gave me an IV, it was the weirdest feeling to not have it attached to anything and walk down the hallway to the CAT scan area. I felt like I had to hold the IV port part up so gravity wouldn't drain me of blood, but those seals are pretty good!

The other nurse came back and "handed me off" to the original nurse who walked me the rest of the way. We went into the room for the CAT Scan. They did the normal in and out thing, scanning me. Then she walked out of the observation room and told me that she needed the hand with the IV. She told me she was going to do a Saline flush. I didn't like it, as soon as she put it into my blood stream the air tasted salty and stale, and smelled the same way. After that she told me she was going to put the dye in. It was an interesting feeling. It felt wet at my IV, just like when I got the Anesthesia for the surgery. Only I didn't pass out.

I felt this really warm sensation start at my right arm, move to my chest, then from there it moved simultaneously up to my head to make me really dizzy, and to my left arm, then like a really slow wave it moved down my torso 'til it hit my feet. It was then that i felt something she had warned me about. She said most people feel like they're wetting their pants, but you're not, and it will only last for thirty seconds. Well, it did, it felt warmer and warmer in my nether regions until it felt like I was essentially wetting myself, but I deduced that's because that area houses the most blood vessels in such a small area. As compared to my head where I just felt dizzy, I could concentrate on how it got warmer and warmer down there, then as soon as it came it was gone! So was the CAT scan, it was done too. She told me she'd extract the IV, which I instinctually braced for, but it was fast and smooth, I didn't really feel it.

She told me the reason they put the dye in me was for contrast on the CAT scan. That I should drink lots of water over the next two days to prevent kidney damage. I think she said 6-8 full glasses of water. I just drank 2 liters of Gatorade when I got home, then 2 more the next day.

When I got out of there I told Rhiannon everything that had happened and she sympathized telling me she had to get a CAT scan with contrast before too and it was weird. When I got out I asked the receptionist for a copy of the results when they come in. I'm supposed to call Monday the 4th and pick them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment