Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 22

Monday - November 1, 2010

I went with my Mom to get chemo today at 6:30 in the morning for a 7 am appointment. She had the day off because of some procedures she had to get done.

The nurse that was supposed to be tapping my port was having an off-day I think. Although, that is not the person you want to have an off-day.

The first time she tried it hurt really bad. I didn't want to taste the salene so i held my breath. I thought i was just being a wuss and hadnt had my port tapped in a while. So when she asked if it was in i said "yes." and she started flushing with salene. When she did that it started to come out of my incision, which i didn't particularly like. I expressed that concern and she mentioned that the salene is sterile and it shouldn't affect my healing. She explained that when she tried to tap it the port must have moved on her.

The second time she tried it felt like she got in, but she must have got just in the edge cuz there was no blood return and no push, the salene wasn't going anywhere.

The third attempt they tried another nurse. It is this Chinese nurse that works there. She's been there a long time. She held the port firmly in place as another nurse sprayed Freezy stuff on my port to numb the location. She plunged the needle in and vola, it was finally tapped. They took a blood sample and i fell asleep.

When I woke up the nurse came up to me shaking her head. She said that my white blood count was too low for treatment today. She said we'd try again Wednesday.

When they untapped the port it bled a lot due to the target practice from earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment